[RE-wrenches] SI5048 Commissioning Test

Carl Adams swingjunkie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 12:32:50 PDT 2012

Hello Wrenches,

We have commissioned a new SI system (240V single phase residential) and
want to ensure testing is adequate to ensure the system will perform as
desired.

The system consists of two SI5048s, 5kW PV array, SB5000US, battery bank,
transfer switch, backup generator, and supplemental digital relay to
activate DigIn signal on Grid DOWN condition.

I am sure there are many test scenarios to run through to qualify the
system.  Here is one.
Test Case 1

   1. Verify SOC is 95%+
   2. Modify GnSocTm1Str and GnSocTm1Stp to artificially high numbers (85%
   and  90% respectively)
   3. Power off SB5000US to eliminate charging from solar
   4. Simulate Grid Outage
   5. Verify Transfer switch moves to generator input position
   6. Verify DigIn signal to SI5048 reflects grid state (grid is down)
   7. Monitor SOC and verify that when SOC reaches GnSocTm1Str (85%) the SI
   starts the generator
   8. Monitor SOC and verify that when SOC reaches GnSocTm1Stp (95%) the SI
   stops the generator
   9. Power ON the SB5000US
   10. Reset GnSocTm1Str and GnSocTm1Stp to system specific values.
   11. End Test

Another test would be to bring the grid back up after step 7 or after step
8 and verify correct behavior.

I would love to hear from those who have commissioned similar SI
configurations, about other scenarios we should be testing to adequately
qualify the system.

Carl Adams
SunRock Solar
NABCEP Certified PV Installer