[RE-wrenches] Heart Interface Inverter

mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 19:24:34 PDT 2012

Hello Wrenches,

AC charging system specs
Onan Marquis Gold 5500 LP Model 5.5HGJAB119D generator
Heart Interface Freedom 20 Model Inverter Charger (120VAC, 100A charger,
12VDC)

I have a new customer who has a used Onan RV generator (as specified
above), working with a Heart Inverter charger (specified above).  When the
generator is started, the Heart inverter kicks on and starts to charge,
after about 3 seconds it kicks off, then on, then off and repeats.  The
voltage and frequency of the generator output look good. 120V L-N and 60-62
Hz no load.  The Heart just doesn't seem to like it after it kicks on the
charger.  (Sorry, no scopemeter available)

What is very interesting is that on the other pole of a transfer switch
connected to the AC input, is a fairly inexpensive gas generator, pull
start, on wheels etc.  This puts out 108VAC at 59-60Hz.  When connected to
this generator the Heart immediately latches in and will continue charging
flawlessly at 100ADC.  For whatever reason, the Heart, doesn't like the
voltage waveform of the Onan generator.  The Fluke 87 multimeter that I was
using to test, was catching some type of transient (frequency reading would
shoot up to 70-100Hz) when the Heart would latch into the Onan.  Other that
that with my simple tools I could see no real difference between these
generators, other that the 108VAC of the gas generator.

Any ideas, or known compatibility issues with this equipment?

Thanks

--

Mac Lewis

*