[RE-wrenches] Best practices for comp shingle flashing?

SunHarvest eric at harvesthesun.com
Tue Aug 14 14:55:00 PDT 2012

Hey guys,

What's the consensus on the best practice for flashing roof penetrations on existing (not new) comp shingle roofs?

I don't like Oatey because the boot degrades quickly and even shaded under the modules I don't like the idea of using an inferior product. The flashing on Master flash is quite extensive; I don't like disturbing the established roofing material as much as is required with Master Flash...nor do I like the idea of having to trim so much of the flashing. Quick-mount is easy but I really don't like the lack in height versatility plus the fact that there is no decent way of retracting the lag bolt. I know there must be a better way.

I recall in the old days (old for me anyway) we used to just mount L-feet to the shingles and on my own house I mounted stand-offs directly to the shingles because I'm confident in that method. But, I need something with more insurance when working on other people's homes.

William, what are you using these days?

Eric Stikes
SunHarvest Solar
A Sustainable Energy Group Partner