[RE-wrenches] Proposed CE Code Rule -rodent damage control

Benn At DayStarSolar benn at daystarsolar.ca
Fri Jun 29 10:25:07 PDT 2012

Wrenches,
It has come to my attention that there is a proposed code rule for Section 50 (photovoltaics) of the CE Code (Canada's electrical code book) that wants to see all PV wires protected from potential rodent damage.

It is suggesting that "all" PV wires be protected in conduit, even under the array on a roof.  I see that this would require that mod manufactures bring back the j-box for conduit attachment....Yeah right!
and micro-inverter mfgrs either allow for DC conduit connection or have the MC connectors protruding directly from the unit with no exposed wire.

I'm aware of wire mesh that can wrap around the edges of an array to limit rodent access, but unless the mesh is attached to the roof I'm sure a determined rodent will find a way....
It seems that protecting the 'wiring area' would be a simpler solution than enclosing the wires in conduit.
I have my doubts that this proposal will go thru but you never know. Good thing that 2012 CE Code was just released, so we have til 2015 to deal with this.

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

benn
Sent from a 'smart' phone, with tiny keys. Please excuse shortcuts and typos.