[RE-wrenches] NABCEP

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Thu May 24 11:03:31 PDT 2012

NABCEP has been a strangely quiet subject on this forum. FYI - I checked
with our honorable moderator prior to posting this.

If we are attempting to expand the field of "certified" installer and
designers why is NABCEP run the way it is?

Getting the NABCEP cert and living in w.CO has been a virtual nightmare &
living where I do and having to travel 7 hours each way, stay in a hotel
etc, this is a joke. I may be in the minority but point to make here. Beyond
that I became a wrench because I do not test well [avoided a 4 year degree]
yet I can outline a schematic for electrical or plumbing in my head and
build it the first time correctly.

The test schedule and availability - NABCEP needs to open up to local
proctoring, libraries, schools, etc.

2 tests a Year? Electricians can re- test 24 or 48 hours? later and use a
variety of resources. Why can we not?

When an electrician tests they get their results as they walk out of the
test room.  Why do we have to wait 6 weeks?

The NEC book is the only reference  material at the test when is not doing a
trade about knowing your resources and utilizing them? From what I
understand any number of professions and trades get to use several resource
books. You would think we were going to be secret agents or the like.

I have done off grid for 24 years. Most NABCEP folk who are GT only have not
a clue as to battery based design and should not be allowed to do the same.

I am "certified" and probably very competent up to 50KW would be just fine
but 100KW or 1MW? This is probably not a brilliant idea without a backup
coach.

Questions on 3 phase on the test? I would ask my licensed master electrician
yet we are asked several questions on 3 phase. I have asked masters and they
have had to go look up the answer.

I would suggest a basic GT cert up to 50KW with a supplemental for >50kw and
a separate adder for off grid. Tests every 2 month or on a scheduled basis
with you local librarian

I fly my NABCEP cert in the bathroom and upside down. It is in distress,
stinks, and needs help. The re-wrenches is strangely silent on this much
damaged product called certification.

I see some major issues and would like to start a discussion about how it is
managed.

I think it needs rethinking.

Thanks for considering & your opinion?

Dana Orzel -  Great Solar Works, Inc -  E - dana at solarwork.com -  V
970.626.5253

F - 970.626.4140     C - 970.209.4076     web - www.solarwork.com

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"