[RE-wrenches] Line side taps in Hawai'i

James Rudolph jamesrudolph99 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 19:48:02 PDT 2012

Aloha Wrenches,

I have recently started working in Hawaii on the island of Oahu and have
run into some interesting problems with the AHJ's. The biggest issue is
nobody is allowing line side taps on the island, so most of are larger
systems are requiring service upgrades, this also requires replacing  the
feeder of course and plenty of trenching which adds so much time and cost
to the whole process.. Now I know Bill Brooks was on island recently and
and this seems to have done no good. I was wondering if anybody can shed
some light on this issue and the reasons why they would not allow this code
compliant option. This is allowed on commercial systems here just not
residential to be clear.

 And If your out there Bill, do you have any suggestions on how to approach
this matter with the local inspectors???

Mahalo,

--
*
James B Rudolph*

*Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!               -
William McDonough