[RE-wrenches] Solar flares

Hilton Dier III hiltondier at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 19:00:34 PDT 2012

It's my understanding that the threat of solar flares primarily to the
grid and devices connected to the grid. When the charged particles from
the sun hit our magnetosphere that induces voltage in long power lines.
Since we have satellites (SOHO and ACE) at the first Lagrange point in
between the earth and the sun, we have real time warning of solar flare
events. There are also multiple earth based solar observatories watching
24/7.  An eye on the astronomical news and a simple disconnect will
protect a residential system on the AC side. If a system has a long run
to a ground mounted array then flipping the disconnects at either end
would do the job. Even then, I doubt the amount of voltage induced in a
150 foot underground run would amount to much.

The magnetosphere protects us from most of the effects of solar flares.
They aren't gamma rays, after all. I haven't done the research, but I'd
think that a blast of charged particles powerful enough to either induce
high voltage in the short wiring within a metal cased, grounded
inverter, or to literally blast the semiconductors into submission
directly, would leave the owner with bigger problems than a loss of
electricity.

Hilton

--
Hilton Dier III