[RE-wrenches] Option of unfused lugs in the Inverter?

Allen Frishman amfrish at aeonsolar.com
Mon Feb 27 03:21:57 PST 2012

Hi Wrenchers,
I am configuring a 50KW roof array and plan to use a 3 phase 50KW central inverter.  There are multiple options for the lugs/fusing for the Inverter incoming DC conductors.  PV Powered for example offers everything from a single set of unfused lugs for the Positive and Negative input up to 5 x 60A fused lugs.  My question is if I am using a external fused DC string combiner with integrated DC Disconnect and bring the single set of conductors into the inverter with the option of 1 set of lugs with no fuses in the inverter what protects the large conductors between the fused string combiner/Disco and the inverter if there was a problem such as a short on these conductors?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Al Frishman
AeonSolar

(917) 699-6641 - cell