[RE-wrenches] TOU EV charger service equipment question

Nick Vida nickvida at ymail.com
Mon Jan 9 17:34:19 PST 2012

Hello Wrenches,

Hope you are well.

I was wondering if any of you have come across any new and interesting ways of dealing with EV Time of Use scenarios. Some utilities will require/ allow a second meter for the EV only, and it seems like more work and more expensive gear than it could be to do a second service/ second meter-main/ or duplex meter. I was wondering if any of you had noticed vendors with more residential appropriate load centers with 2 meter sockets, or what approach in general you are taking in dealing with the requirements. I happen to have one coming up which coincides with a service upgrade anyway, but pricing out a duplex setup is slightly intimidating, and not that compact for layout. Any thoughts or leads would be interesting, and I hope some of the manufactures are addressing this soon to be popular scenario.

Best Regards,

Nick Vida
Brighter Days