[RE-wrenches] Expansion on conduits on commercial roof tops!

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Thu Dec 22 11:12:04 PST 2011

Never had a problem with PVC on flat roofs when supported properly and
proper expansion fittings are used (and directions followed explicitly).
PVC expands/contracts about 4 inches for every 100 ft of pipe for a 100
degree F change. It's critical to know the temperature when you are
doing the installation and figure out where that falls in your
temperature range window. Since it rarely gets much below freezing in
Southwest Florida, the temperature window here may be smaller than some
of you experience, but I've never had to use more than one or two
expansion fittings in a straight run of pipe (good route planning is
helpful).

I've never been a big fan of long conduit runs on the roof anyway (get's
pretty hot here on roofs). Ideally we get into the building as soon as
possible.

How does the Rubber Triangle Co product price compare to Durablock?
Those things can be expensive! Another reason to get inside the building
quickly...

Jason