[RE-wrenches] Expansion on conduits on commercial roof tops!

Hans Frederickson hans at fredelectric.com
Thu Dec 22 09:21:55 PST 2011

We've covered this a few times before. Here's a recap of my previous
comments:

1) I use EMT on rooftops, not PVC. PVC conduit just moves too much to be
safe for a lot of expansion/contraction long-term. However, if you're in
Hawaii, you might have a different set of issues. EMT could rust out quickly
and perhaps your temperature swings aren't as great.

2) If you do decide to go with steel conduit, it moves much less than PVC,
and you can get a longer run in before you need an expansion coupling. To
calculate expansion, see the FPN for NEC 300.7(B). You take the values in
Table 352.44 and multiply by 0.2 for steel conduit.

3) Pay attention to how you strap your conduit. The straps adjacent to an
expansion coupling need to be loose enough to allow the conduit to slip as
it expands/contracts.

4) OZ-Gedney makes a UL-listed expansion coupling for EMT, the TX series.

Regards,
-Hans