[RE-wrenches] Gross PV production meter options

Christopher Warfel cwarfel at entech-engineering.com
Wed Dec 7 05:58:22 PST 2011

I believe the Outback configuration will spin the meter backwards when
utility power is used to charge the batteries. I checked with former
co-workers in a utility meter department. A meter with a detent would be
the simplest way to make the meter unidirectional, but those meters are
supposedly long gone. A meter programmed to be unidirectional would
achieve what the installer wants.

Chris

On 12/7/2011 12:59 AM, wirewiz at gmail.com wrote:
> David,
>
> Here is a link to what you might be looking for:
> http://www.outbackpower.com/pdf/tech_notes/120_vac_single_inverter.pdf
>
> Larry Liesner
> Wirewiz
> 31 Lincoln St
> Westport, CT 06880
> 203-644-2404 <tel:203-644-2404>
> wirewiz at gmail.com <mailto:wirewiz at gmail.com>
> www.wire-wiz.com <http://www.wire-wiz.com>
> NABCEP Certified PV Installer (# 032611-184)
>

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Dave Palumbo
> <dave at independentpowerllc.com <mailto:dave at independentpowerllc.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     We are installing a grid interactive, with battery back-up,
>     OutBack Radian GS8048 with 5kW of PV. Vermont has a “Solar Adder”
>     premium that varies from utility to utility but in this case adds
>     6 cents per kWh over and above net-metering (basically to come up
>     to a par value of 20 cents/kWh for PV production).
>
>     We need to install a gross PV production meter between the main
>     (utility) load center panel and the Radian inverter. We need a
>     meter that is not multidirectional, as we only want to count the
>     kWh’s that are pushed out into the grid (and not subtract what the
>     Radian uses from utility power to satisfy the protected loads
>     center when the sunlight doesn’t handle that).
>
>     Hialeah Meter offered a GE KV2CE meter that can be programmed to
>     do what we need for $ 260 plus $25 programming fee.
>
>     The utility will have an option, but I’m wondering what other
>     options others have used for this situation.
>
>     David Palumbo
>
>     Independent Power LLC
>
>     462 Solar Way Drive
>
>     Hyde Park, VT 05655
>
>     */www.independentpowerllc.com <http://www.independentpowerllc.com> /*
>
>     NABCEP Certified PV Installer
>
>     Vermont Solar Partner
>
>     23 Years Experience, (802) 888-7194 <tel:%28802%29%20888-7194>

>     List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>     <mailto:RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org>
>
>     Options & settings:
>     http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org

>     List rules & etiquette:
>     www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>     <http://www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm>
>
>     Check out participant bios:
>     www.members.re-wrenches.org <http://www.members.re-wrenches.org>
>

> --

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Options&  settings:

> List rules&  etiquette:

Christopher Warfel, P.E.
ENTECH Engineering, Inc.
Energy Utilization Experts
(401)466-8978

The information contained within this communication shall
be considered confidential and shall not be retransmitted
without knowledge of the sender. Please contact us if
this email reached you in error. Thank you.