[RE-wrenches] Convert Grid Tie SW4048 to Backup System; Add New Inverter, AC Coupled

Nathan Jones solardude97 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 09:11:51 PST 2011

Allan,
I was referring to the issue of the SW disconnecting from the grid in any of its settings other than the sell mode. It was this limited function only, which was not part of its UL listing issues, that I implied would make it suitable for AC coupling. I did not know how it would react to the backfed power and appreciate the old posts from David Katz being reposted regarding this.
Didn't mean to speak to anything beyond this limited function as to the suitability for AC coupling. It does appear that it has been done and will work as several of the newer battery based inverters will in this arrangement, albeit with the same issue of battery charging regulation left to some external means. Lots of ways to do this have been discussed here previously.
I have done several AC coupled systems but have always used the MS series from Magnum. We have never had a client willing to spring for the higher cost of the Sunny Island yet.
I live off grid using the venerable old SW 5548 and appreciate the history of this inverter and its lasting impact on inverter design being posted here.
Hope this clears up any mis communication on my part.
Nathan Jones
Power Source Solar
417-827-0738