[RE-wrenches] Code reviewer issue with array disconnect location

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Nov 21 17:54:07 PST 2011

Hi Jeff;

The new combiner boxes from Midnite are interesting for this application
too, as they offer a single external disconnect built into the side of
each combiner box.  They can later be easily upgraded with Midnite's new
arc fault protection and remote disconnect. One simple signal switch
(the "Bird House") can be mounted at a readily accessible location on
the ground and can turn off all the combiner boxes in a single push of a
button. All those long DC runs down to the inverter would be
de-energized, and thus an unfamiliar fire fighter doesn't have to crawl
around on the roof with a map trying to find every combiner. I think its
the way we need to be moving for safety on all PV systems, it also would
solve your current issue, without relocating all the combiner boxes.

Ray