[RE-wrenches] Code reviewer issue with array disconnect location

Jeff Yago jryago at dtisolar.com
Mon Nov 21 16:25:04 PST 2011

Thanks to all who replied with code references.  I think we have put up a
good argument and refuse to re-locate the five separate combiner boxes down
at eye level on the top parking area of a student parking deck.  Just an
accident waiting to happen.  However, in researching this issue I noted that
the 2008 code and the comments I am hearing about the 2011 code still are
not clear about combiner box requirements.  I agree with Bill Brooks that on
single array residential systems it does not make sense to put the combiner
box on top of the roof and require a ladder to access, but on large
commercial systems where there are already multiple code required
disconnects that are required to be accessible, I still think its best for
the installer and for system maintenance to have a disconnect mounted in the
cover or right beside the combiner box at each array on multiple array
systems.

Jeff Yago
DTI Solar Inc.