[RE-wrenches] High Voltage MPPT units

Gary Willett gary at icarussolarservices.com
Mon Nov 7 09:53:06 PST 2011

Larry & Darryl:

Intriguing possibility using a DC transfer switch to toggle the PV array
between the grid-interactive inverter and the "off-grid" battery-based
inverter. Effectively, the battery-based inverter is functioning as an
UPS for the Critical Loads, and the battery bank size is driven by the
critical load needs.

The problem is getting a high voltage DC rated UL / NRTL listed transfer
switch. I've seen AC / DC rated ATSs, but the DC rating is typically
150V - versus 600V for the AC rating.

The current rating of the ATS with DC is usually listed the same as the
AC rating, which results in a significantly lower DC Voltage rating.

Here's a link to an example:
http://www.lake-shore-electric.com/products/transfer-switches/molded-case-transfer-switches/single-motor-automatic-transfer-switch/

High Voltage PV source circuit strings are typically 10A or less. The
example ATS has 4 switched connections. The manufacturer would have to
certify its application as an ATS for 2 HV PV strings (Str #1 +/- and
Str #2 +/-).

Also, the battery-based inverter should be configurable to automatically
activate the ATS when it determines a grid failure has occurred, and
then switch back when the grid is restored.

Regards,

Gary Willett