[RE-wrenches] ground

James Rudolph jamesrudolph99 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 06:15:42 PDT 2011

Todd,

Article 250.52(a)(3) from the 2008 Code states this....

(3) Concrete-Encased Electrode. An electrode encased
by at least 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete, located horizontally
near the bottom or vertically, and within that portion of a
concrete foundation or footing that is in direct contact with
the earth, consisting of at least 6.0 m (20 ft) of one or more
bare or zinc galvanized or other electrically conductive
coated steel reinforcing bars or rods of not less than 13 mm
(1⁄2 in.) in diameter, or consisting of at least 6.0 m (20 ft) of
bare copper conductor not smaller than 4 AWG. Reinforcing
bars shall be permitted to be bonded together by the
usual steel tie wires or other effective means. Where multiple
concrete-encased electrodes are present at a building
or structure, it shall be permissible to bond only one into
the grounding electrode system.

It would be wise to consult the local AHJ if this is permisssble with the
rebar. You want to make sure that you have the best grounding system
possible with the chance of a lighting strike.

Good Luck!