[RE-wrenches] Battery voltage set points and specific gravity

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 18:45:09 PDT 2011

Ian, if you're seeing discrepancies between cells then an EQ charge is the
only real solution. If an "EQ"charge hasn't resolved the imbalances, you
probably haven't achieved it. One common mistake
I saw among my neighbors was confusing unregulated charging with equalizing.
Surrette has published some good tech bulletins on this - although designed
for their product the concepts and process applies to all FLA batteries to
some extent.

To answer your second question, the answer varies depending upon whether the
equipment you are using can perform in a coordinated manner.  If you are
mixing brands, the hard part is keeping the controllers from going into
float after a power outage, when the inverters charge the batteries after
the ac returns.  If you absolutely positively must mix brands, set the CC
float voltage high, and the inverter bulk low. And still plan on checking in
on the system every now and again to make sure the float LED isn't blinking
merrily along...

Phil Undercuffler