[RE-wrenches] history of grid-tie inverters

David Katz dkatz at aeesolar.com
Wed Sep 14 21:39:01 PDT 2011

Hi Jim,
Ascension Technology in MA sold AC modules in 1996 using ASE 300 watt modules with the Ascention Sunsine inverter mounted on the back.  There are 20 kw of them on the pentagon.
AEE sold AC modules using 100 watt Solec and Siemens modules with NKF micro-inverters in 1996.  I know Larry Schlussler from SunFrost is still operating 6 of them.  We also use Omnion grid tie inverters in the mid 90's.  A 2500 watt inverter was almost as big as a refrigerator and nearly as heavy.  I just gave one away a few years ago.
John Berdner, who now works for SolarEdge brought SunnyBoy inverters to the US in 2000 because Xantrex did not pay him for so BOS equipment that APT was making for Xantrex.  At the same time he convinced UL that the Xantrex SW5548 should not have UL listing and UL took away their listing.  Xantrex had 90% market share of grid tie inverters until that time, then they dropped to 0%.  The SMA's were the first 600 volt inverters to be used in the US.  Before that, everything was 48 volt.
Regards,
David Katz
AEE Solar