[RE-wrenches] Grounding Requirement Question

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Sep 6 13:50:48 PDT 2011

I think 690.47 C 3 covers this in the new 2011 code. The info notes 1 &
2 also yield more clarification. As always confusion reins until we get
some actual interpretation from Bill Brooks or John Wiles, as all of
this was completely rewritten. Feel free to correct me, any and
everyone, but this is my humble interpretation:
The E-panel provides the required combined AC & DC grounding busbar (in
note 1) Note 2 says you can use the existing premises grounding system,
and C(3) says the AC EGC can be combined with the DC GEC and run back to
the premises AC grounding busbar in the same conduit as your AC conductors.
I think the main thing to check here is that you have properly sized the
single combined conductor (AC EGC/  DC GEC) and that it is unspliced
from the E panel to the main AC grounding busbar, and finally, that the
existing AC GEC runs directly from that busbar to the grounding electrode.
Its pretty clear IMHO that you don't need to run a separate GEC all the
way back to the grounding electrode (unless you're not on 2011 code?)

BTW, I usually sink a supplemental ground rod direct from the E-panel
for lightning protection ( and to satisfy 2008 code) but my read is that
is no longer required by 2011 code as 690.47 D was deleted.
I love how some folks act like you're going to burn the place down if
you don't absolutely follow current code, and a couple of years later
the code completely changes its mind, again, and again.....:)

Ray Walters