[RE-wrenches] unique battery bank design question

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Sep 4 11:21:17 PDT 2011

Both cases started with new batteries: Trojan L16s. One was a 24 v system that tapped for 12 v lighting, the other was a 48 v system that charged with a 24 v Bergey added later. The problem seems to come up when you have more than one parallel string. I could see the Vanner working on a single string. The imbalance showed up just barely at first, and got much worse with time. In the end, the L16s died in less than 5 years, and never provided their full rated amp hours even the first year.
DC to DC converters from Solar Converters, Inc. seem to work pretty well, but I always under load them (maybe 5 to 10 amp load on a 20 amp rated unit)
THese days I just go all AC and avoid multiple DC voltages in the first place. There is almost always another solution.
A fair bit of our rewire work these days involves converting DC circuits (lighting, etc.) to AC under the K.I.S.S. principle.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer