[RE-wrenches] AC Coupling

Nathan Jones solardude97 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 21:54:09 PDT 2011

Allan,
You're not the only one with your eyes spinning here. Let me clarify a bit as I think you are making it more complicated than it is. There is no need for a manual switch. The GT inverters feed into the sub panel which is being fed by the Magnum. Since the Magnum is fed by the main panel there exists an automatic transfer switch already in place. The GT inverters push backwards through the Magnum via this pathway to the main panel and from there to the grid. Upon grid failure the Magnum opens its transfer switch disconnecting from the grid but continues to supply power to the sub panel. The GT inverter(s) continue to backfeed that panel since they did not sense the power failure but their pass through to the main and the grid is now open. The only pathway for any overflow from the sub panel is into the FETs on the Magnum where it is rectified. The battery cables are the only discharge path for this surplus power now. So now the issue is finding some way
 to regulate that backfed current to protect the batteries. And that brings us back to our discussion of frequency variation, dump loads, relays, etc.
Hope this helps.
Nathan Jones
Power Source Solar
Springfield, MO