[RE-wrenches] Out of Warranty Inverter Replacements

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Aug 20 19:50:43 PDT 2011

"Low Bid" is often the rule of the day, but so is 5 and 10 year
warranties, 20 year PPAs, maintenance agreements, and production guarantees.
A bit more money spent on an inverter that lasts longer is worth it.
Is buying a bigger inverter and running it at 60% of its rating going to
buy more MTBF (mean time between failures)
or should manufacturers consider selling a premier line with better
cooling fans, and all the upgraded goodies you mentioned. (along with
possibly an extended warranty?)
I've seen some very old inverters (Exeltech and Trace) still working
after 20 years, but those are indoors and not at full load every day.
Seems we need to do more to baby these Grid tie inverters (put them in
the shade, good air flow, surge arrestors, don't over load them, etc.)

Ray Walters