[RE-wrenches] shatterproof PV (Durable Uni-Solar)

Christopher Warfel cwarfel at entech-engineering.com
Thu Jul 28 12:26:58 PDT 2011

We had bought these several years ago for sailboat projects. We just
used the remaining ones on our oyster farm. They have worked very well.
I have also used their roll up module for many years on my sailboat.
Chris

On 7/28/2011 10:16 AM, Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems wrote:
> They were very durable. A few years ago an RV customer had a US64
> propped up on the back bumper. They forgot about it and backed up the
> motorhome to reposition, driving all 30,000 pounds over the module.
> Flattened and covered with deep rock dents and a puncture, it still
> works well.
>
> Larry Crutcher
> Starlight Solar Power Systems
>

> On Jul 27, 2011, at 9:26 PM, Ray Walters wrote:
>
>> My mistake, I just found a spec sheet on the Unisolar 64, and it
>> specifically advertises "No glass" and "unbreakable". I worked on
>> systems with them before, but never sold them, so I assumed the
>> textured top surface was tempered glass all these years.
>> Many pardons,
>>
>> Ray
>>
>> On 7/27/2011 9:21 PM, Carl Emerson wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> The discontinued Unisolar US64 did _not_ have any glass on the face.
>>>
>>> A great product, a shame they stopped manufacture.
>>>
>>> Carl Emerson
>>>
>>> Free Power Co.
>>>
>>> Web www.freepower.co.nz
>>>
>>> Hi Marco;
>>>
>>> Regular modules are designed to take quite an impact. I recall one
>>> manufacturer that fired 1" ice balls with an air cannon at their
>>> modules, and then let visitors throw baseballs at them. It seems the
>>> foul balls would be at a lower velocity than a person could throw,
>>> but I don't know.
>>> Also the Unisolar 64 module has a glass face, so I just don't know
>>> of a framed module without glass.
>>> Possibly you could add a sheet of Lexan (polycarbonate, very tough
>>> and transparent) over the top of the array. I would think the losses
>>> would be less than 10%.
>>> http://www.modernplastics.com/lexan.html
>>> Home Depot sells a corrugated polycarbonate clear roofing panel that
>>> could possibly be attached over the top of the module.
>>> http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100049922/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
>>> <http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100049922/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053>
>>> I've run over it, stomped it, dropped tools on it, it pops right
>>> out, no cracking.
>>>
>>> Ray
>>>
>>> On 7/26/2011 10:58 PM, Marco Mangelsdorf wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m looking to install a 10-20 kW system on a roof that’s going to
>>> be getting falling foul balls from a nearby baseball field.
>>>
>>> The roof is not appropriate for any of the Uni-Solar peel-n-stick
>>> products.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations for anything else out there that does not have a
>>> glass glazing?Hi Marco
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> marco
>>>
>>> <Mail Attachment.jpeg>
>>>
>>> Marco Mangelsdorf, President
>>> 69 Railroad Avenue, A-7
>>> Hilo, Hawai'i 96720
>>> (808) 969-3281, 934-7462 facsimile
>>> www.provision-solar.com <http://www.provisiontechnologies.com/>

> [...]

Christopher Warfel, P.E.
ENTECH Engineering, Inc.
Energy Utilization Experts
(401)466-8978

The information contained within this communication shall
be considered confidential and shall not be retransmitted
without knowledge of the sender. Please contact us if
this email reached you in error. Thank you.