[RE-wrenches] Fwd: Car charging station without grid

David Katz dkatz at asis.com
Fri Jul 15 21:15:40 PDT 2011

Gary,
I have a Nissan Leaf with a standard Level 2 charging port that accepts
AC and I also have a Level 3 port that is directly connected to the
battery.  At this point there are no chargers for this port, but they
are coming, so technically it is easy to get to the DC side of the car.
Also, I made a standalone charging station for the UC Davis plug-in
hybrid race team by using a Sunnyboy/SunnyIsland combination with 25
kw-hours of battery.  When the car charger was plugged into the AC
outlet it drew 3 kw.  2kw came from the array and one came from the
battery through the SunnyIsland.  When the charger was unplugged, the
array charged the batteries through the SunnyBoy and SunnyIsland.  This
allowed the batteries to absorb the array output between charges.
David Katz