[RE-wrenches] Fwd: Car charging station without grid

Gary Willett gary at icarussolarservices.com
Thu Jul 14 15:42:24 PDT 2011

The current industry standards for Electric Vehicle (EV) charging
stations use either a standard 120Vac or 240Vac feeder. The EV has its
own internal charge regulator unique to the type and voltage of the
battery bank used.

To my knowledge, here is no EV manufacturer that has a DC charging
circuit connection.

Charging with DC is technically possible, but you are going to need a
DC-to-DC converter (with its efficiency losses) that also has charge
controller functionality. I don't know anyone that makes such a device.
Plus, if the customer connects the EV to a non-standard method of
charging, he's likely to void the EV's warranty since the external DC
charger/controller would have to mimic the EVs internal charge regulator.

A possibility might be a SMA Sunny Island or a Xantrex 4024 with a
minimally sized battery bank. The 240Vac output of the inverter would be
dedicated to the EV charging station function. Sizing of the battery
bank would depend on the current requirements of a fully discharged EV.
The advantage of this approach is that the EV's internal charger would
pull it's power from the sun when it's shining, and from the grid at
night or on cloudy days. The Sunny Island or the Xantrex can be
programmed to only charge from the grid when the rates are the cheapest.

Regards,

Gary Willett, PE
Gary at IcarusSolarServices.com <mailto:Gary at IcarusSolarServices.com>