[RE-wrenches] Fronius IG vs IG Plus inverters

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Sun Jul 3 13:41:31 PDT 2011

I just installed a pair of IG Plus V 7.5s, and they seem really good so far.

My only complaint is the documentation.   It seems to have been
written by people who had no clue concerning the simple steps that
needed to be taken to install and start up the machines, and whose
first language was other than English. (So many instructions are like
that these days).

It looked like the "authors" found all the miscellaneous information
they could and pasted it into the manual until it got up to 172
pages. Lots of warnings and information on how to mount to various
surfaces.  The mounting description consisted of some vague drawings
of screwdrivers turning and the word click.

Fortunately tech support is excellent.  It would have been easier to
follow my instincts for mounting and commissioning.  If all else
fails, read the directions!  : - )

At 12:57 AM 6/29/2011, you wrote:
>I foresee some more failures in the IG plus, the details of which I
>will not share here, but you can ask me off-list if you like. I will
>say that the IG plus has a trifling bracket design with rectangle
>holes that is not really strong enough to hold the inverter up on
>its own, and does not lend itself well to a perfect mating of the 2
>sections of the inverter. If you think you would like to lag up a
>stud on the middle row, the bracket will deform, causing you to add
>more anchors just to hold the thing up in the corners. And if you
>miss a pilot hole by a 1/4 inch or whatever, and you decide to try
>and drill out the hole to give you some play, go to your vise, cause
>the rectangle holes will put your un-sprained wrists in jeopardy.
>The plus has a way better dc terminal, but you need to get fuses,
>and the ac terminal is the same horrible white plastic one from the IG.
>Also, there are removable vent clean outs on the right side of the
>IG plus, so it is difficult to leave access in some cases, and you
>might have to remove the power stage to clean them if you run a pipe there.
>
>nick vida
>Brighter Days
>
>List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
>Options & settings: