[RE-wrenches] Reconsidering Generac for Off-Grid

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Wed Jun 15 13:05:24 PDT 2011

Interesting the 2600 RPM = 57.7 MPH. times 500 hours is a
28,885 mile interval on the oil change.

Are they requiring synthetic oil? The best AMSOIL product is
currently 25,000 miles between oil changes.

Glad to hear they are thinking but time will tell.  Except
for [1] 30KW unit I have yet to see one survive more than a
year before catastrophic failure or all consuming fire.

I do not know of any ONAN or Kohler units that do not need a
PV module to back up the standby power requirements of the
control loads run off of the generator start battery, It
almost seems a separate deep cycle battery for the wasteful
controls would be smart. AN more expense.

Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc

E - dana at solarwork.com

V - 970.626.5253

F - 970.626.4140

C - 970.209.4076

web - www.solarwork.com

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"

Do not ever believe anything, but seriously trust through
action.