[RE-wrenches] smart meters/bidirectional

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Tue Jun 14 09:20:20 PDT 2011

Fellow wrenches,

The programmability of the electronic meters means there are many
possible measuring modes, even with the same brand and model of meter.
By "bi-directional", the utility metering folks generally mean that the
meter separately records energy flowing in and energy flowing out. Net
is computed by the difference between energy flowing in and out.
Electronic meters may also be set up to measure "net" energy which
behaves like the older disk-type meters. Many electronic meters are
programmed to record energy flow without regard to direction - that
prevents energy theft that could be accomplished by turning the older
meters up-side-down. These will count any on-site energy production as
energy use.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar