[RE-wrenches] smart meters/bidirectional

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Jun 14 08:24:35 PDT 2011

Hi All -

We run into smart meters before we install PV here in CA all the time. The
smart meter hardware is typically bidirectional in that the arrow on the
display will indicate which direction power is flowing. I say "typically"
because there seems to be several meter brands that the utility is using
and I haven't necessarily verified all of them.

However, in PG&E territory some stage of the software processing doesn't
seem to register negative kWh readings properly. In other words, if the PV
system produces more power than used in the billing period then the bills
get wonky. We've seen bills skyrocket because the negative reading is read
as a complete reset of the meter which would indicate that nearly 100,000
kWh were used. That's one reason why it is best to keep the system off
until official interconnection occurs.

Lastly, I've verified with PG&E that the bidirectional solar meters
currently used for net metering are the same as the standard smart meters
but just have different programming. Smart meter programming is not
currently active for net metered solar clients in the PG&E territory.
That's a mouthful!

Best,

August