[RE-wrenches] Main panel and ATS request

Gary Willett icarussolar at verizon.net
Mon May 16 08:52:22 PDT 2011

Allen:

I asked you about a generator since the future addition on one might
influence your selected solution.

The GenReady ATS does not include any load-shedding control algorithm
based on AC input voltage (representing full load/overload sensing) that
would have to be left unused.

The ATS "sensing breaker" and the "XFER", "BAT+, and "BAT-" leads are
intended to be used by a generator's controller board to sense a grid
brownout, overvoltage, or failure condition, apply its internal timing
algorithms, then activate the ATS. There are no "smarts" in the GenReady
panel's ATS - it's a "dumb" switch.

I have a Generac EcoGen propane generator with a 2-wire start, and no
internal controller. It has no internal "smarts" and  relies totally on
the controller functionality internal to the PV inverter.

I'm using the Generac GenReady panel at my home installation as follows
for backing up critical loads:

(A) The inverter output from my XW system feeds the "Generator Supply"
breaker on GenReady panel.

(B) The AC1 grid connection on the XW is connected to the lowest 2-pole
breaker position on the top portion (non-protected) side of the GenReady
panel.

(C) The EcoGen generator is connected to the AC2 (generator) input on
the XW.

(D) In the "normal" configuration (no grid failure), the GenReady
internal ATS (automatic transfer switch) is already activated, and the
XW inverter's output is feeding local protected loads. XW PV production
in excess of local load and battery charging requirements is connected
to the upper portion of the GenReady panel, and is consumed by the local
non-protected loads, or sold back to the grid.

(E) With a grid failure, the GenReady ATS position does not change, and
the inverter continues to feed the protected loads (non-protected loads
are "dead"). The XW inverter will start/stop the generator as needed to
keep the batteries charged.

(F) So what is the GenReady ATS used for? It is not needed with a
dedicated protected loads panel, but provided two advantages in my
situation:

    (1) I needed to upgrade my main service panel anyway, so choosing a
    panel with an internal ATS made sense. Plus, I could connect a
    generator for the protected loads (non-PV solution).

    (2)  With a PV solution, I use the GenReady ATS to manually bypass
    the inverter. It's easier to do that to flip the four breakers in
    the Xantrex AC Interconnection Panel. I haven't done this yet, but
    it should be possible to have the XW inverter control the ATS to
    switch the protected loads back to the inverter if a grid outage
    occurs while the ATS is in the inverter bypass mode.

I totally agree with you that having an option to provide a critical
loads battery backup for solar installations is an underserved market,
particularly in rural areas with frequent grid outages and brownouts.

An integrated inverter/charger, in conjunction with a natural gas and/or
propane generator, feeding a separate critical loads panel is a great
solution to offer customers desiring an "UPS-like" configuration for
critical loads. The battery bank sizing will be a cost tradeoff between
hours of autonomy of the battery bank, versus size/run-time for the
generator (if equipped).

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Gary Willett, PE

Icarus Engineering / Solar Services LLC
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer # 031310-246