[RE-wrenches] wrenches] PV powered music festival

john cvsolar at aol.com
Sat Apr 30 21:41:51 PDT 2011

Sorry about getting into this discussion so late.  Internet has been down for 3 days at my remote off-grid home due to equipment failures at my wireless provider.  I take care of maintenance of the off-grid mountaintop transmitter site but the problem wasn't there.

SolarFest in Vermont has a hybrid grid tie and off grid power system using 6 VFX3648's for the stage lighting and 2 GVFX 3648's for stage sound and recharging the batteries overnite.  The 6 off grid inverters have grid power available but we have never turned on the breakers. They have run only as off-grid inverters powered from the shared battery bank.  This is a 3 day Festival with the stage drawing power all day and evenings with the heavy loads during the evening shows.  We have experimented with various battery sizes and after the first year with 96 Interstate L16's, we have scaled back some to 56 or 64 batteries.  Our peak loads have hit 21kw for lighting but this past year it was usually peaking at about 16 kw as more LED lights are being used.  The light show is spectacular.  The sound usually peaks under 3kw.  The two grid tie inverters work pretty hard as they are constantly selling or buying from the grid depending on the time of day and loads.  The battery would probably keep the show on during a major power outage for about 3 or 4 hours at peak demand with the 56 batteries.  We have the grid tie inverters programmed to charge the batteries at a modest rate and they are essentially passing thru and charging the batteries during the heavy stage loads, mostly selling during the day when the 4 racks of PV's (8,000 watts) are producing power and stage lighting loads are down and after the show is over for the night, it usually takes until about 4 to 5 am to get the batteries back to full.  Our pull in from the grid at night is about 50% of what we are using, keeping the grid tie inverters from being overworked. We usually hit 50% or a little lower at the end of the evening light show.

 Our system essentially is a grid tie with significant backup and balancing capabilities. We also have 1 permanent top of pole rack (1440 watts) feeding the SolarFest office grid tie system with a GVFX3524.  Other power produced on site is a temporary 4000 watt direct grid tie feeding into the grid for as much time as we can keep the panels (on loan from various sources) and 4 or 5 stand alone systems running the box office and workshop tents.  We have a power trailer (the Solar Roller which originally powered the whole festival!!!) with 1200 watts now used to power workshop tents and then "put to pasture" directly feeding the 2 GVFX2648's the rest of the year to build up our credits.  Our 14 kw or so total PV (not counting vendors) is not enough for real time off-grid operation over the course of the day so we rely on some prevestival generation as well as post festival generation to net zero for the event.  We currently have enough kwhours acrued to run the festival for one entire weekend and still have our meter behind the zero starting point.  We often discuss trying to have the festival capable of being totally off grid but we would have to install a lot more solar and batteries.   I won't bore all of you with the disasters we encountered on the way to our beautiful, perfectly functioning power system.  I will be providing the story on the SolarFest website in our power section (when I find the time to write it).  For some photos of our system, check out www.SolarFest.org.

John Blittersdorf
CVSOLAR

Message-----