[RE-wrenches] tax credit on batteries

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Thu Apr 14 13:00:47 PDT 2011

Qualified solar electric property is defined as:

(2) Qualified solar electric property expenditure

The term "qualified solar electric property expenditure" means an
expenditure for property which uses solar energy to generate electricity
for use in a dwelling unit located in the United States and used as a
residence by the taxpayer.

In the case of a system with PV, charge controllers, a hybrid inverter
that is grid interactive and uses a battery, the battery is integral to
and required for the system to work. In that case, yes - it's a part of
the solar energy system that is required to generate electricity for use
in the dwelling unit. The batter is no less integral to the system than
the inverter, which also qualifies. From what I understand, the tax
credit includes all hardware and labor up to the point of
interconnection. None of the house A/C wiring including the main
distribution panel and branch circuit wiring would qualify.

I know SEIA put out an FAQ about tax credits, but I'm not sure if it has
a definition clarification. Maybe check DSIRE.org.

Now if you are asking about batteries themselves with no solar energy, I
think the answer would be no. However, I'm not clear on whether
replacement batteries for an existing solar energy system would qualify
(or a replacement inverter for that matter).

Jason Szumlanski

Fafco Solar