[RE-wrenches] Generators?

Philip Boutelle philboutelle at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 10:18:46 PDT 2011

August,

SMA recently updated their SI firmware so it would better communicate with
the electronic governors on Kohler generators. On two projects so far, this
new firmware has proven not to work on Generac generators (now with their
own electronic governors, even the small air-cooled units), which I was
previously advised to use by SMA due to their compatibility with the SI
system.

I recommend a Winco generator, because they have no electronic governor to
fight with the SI controls. Not sure if UL matters to you, but the 12kW
isn't yet UL listed (a single part on the Honda motor is not UL listed,
preventing the entire unit from getting a listing), but I have heard that
they are working on it. With the new SI firmware, you could also use a
Kohler, but Kohler has previously stated that their generators are not
warranted for off-grid use.

I would check in with SMA too; they have told me that they are working on
lists of generators that do and don't work with the SI. If the tech you talk
to doesn't know what you are talking about, try to talk to Steve Jefferson.

Good luck,
-Phil