[RE-wrenches] Lithium-ion battery charging

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Mon Mar 14 17:51:30 PDT 2011

I am *almost* convinced that rating energy storage in kilowatt-hours is
a benevolent attempt by the EV industry to make things more simple for
consumers. kWh on my power bill vs. kWh stored in my new Tesla...it even
fits into a news bite! Anything that has math in it? You can forget the
news bite.

In my off-grid intro classes I explain amp-hours as a way for renewable
energy consultants and writers to keep their jobs, and I immediately
move the entire discussion to kWh of battery storage. Charge/discharge
rates vs. capacity are not a relevant factor in such basic-level
discussions with the general public, and as soon as you mention
multiplying by system voltage or how series increases voltage but not
amp-hours, and parallel increases amp-hours but not voltage, it's
zzzzzzzz lights out.

We RE Wrenches will always be talking in amp-hours, as will our battery
companies, the engineers at EV companies, and the rest of the tech
community. We can define performance in detail that way.

But perhaps rating battery storage in kWh is a neat way to serve up a
plate of real understanding to the general public, sans math? If it
works, I'm all for it.

Dan Fink
Executive Director;
Buckville Energy Consulting
Buckville Publications LLC
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ accredited Continuing Education Providers
http://www.buckville.com/
info at buckville.com
970.672.4342 (voicemail)
970.373.1311 (fax)