[RE-wrenches] a big bundle of +'s and a separate big bundle of -'s

Jim MacDonald jmac at solaresystems.com
Tue Mar 15 15:43:12 PDT 2011

Looking at this older post [below] which came up as I searched "bundling:"

Take this scenario with a blocky array laid out with all the positives on the west and all the negs on the east, CB in the north:
For example, 8 strings of 7:
[1= the positive HR of each string; 7= the negative HR of each string]
As I've drawn below,
On the west array edge, you'd have all the + running north toward the CB in one bundle of only-positive wires,
and the same on the east flank with all the -.

___CB___
+1234567-
+1234567-
+1234567-
+1234567-
+1234567-
+1234567-
+1234567-
+1234567-

Any reason it be better to lay out the array this way, with current flow reversed every other row?:

___CB___
+1234567-
-7654321+
+1234567-
-7654321+
+1234567-
-7654321+
+1234567-
-7654321+

Re: original thread, Is the heating irrespective of whether the bundles are mixed pos/neg, or worse if all 1 polarity?
And, sorry but I could not find what William wrote about the impedance [DC resistance] in this situation.

Hope my question is clear.  Thanks

Jim MacDonald
Design + Engineering Dept.
Solar Energy Systems, LLC