[RE-wrenches] Sanyo HIT and ARRA "buy american"

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Thu Mar 10 07:20:15 PST 2011

We had to recently deal with this. It's complicated.

As I understand it:
The WTO list of ~60 countries counts as "Buy American" ONLY IF a project
is more than $7,804,000 (I believe this amount relates to the check
being written for your Sanyo project, as opposed to the total funding
amount VT received from the feds for their incentives), AND the group is
an entity subject to US obligations under international trade
agreements. The Appendix to Subpart B of 2 CFR (Code of Federal
Regulations) 176 lists "U.S. States, Other Sub-Federal Entities, and
Other Entities Subject to U.S. Obligations under International
Agreements (as of February 16, 2010)" and at least for Florida, only
Executive Branch Agencies may invoke international trade agreements. And
again, only for projects valued at or above $7,804,000 for construction
projects (2 CFR 176.90). Additional confusion comes from "Buy American"
per the original act of 1933 and subsequent revisions being different
from "Buy American" per ARRA.

If your project has a demonstrable need for higher-efficiency modules
then you may be able to get a waiver from the DOE/NIST, but that's
probably going to take a few months. So to sum up, you're facing an
uphill battle.

Related note: I just looked at a system the other day with
three-year-old Sanyos HIT 200s (not bifacial) with yellowing
encapsulation- some at the busbars, but mostly in the interior of the
modules (roughly the outer ring of cells was still clear). Anyone else
seeing this?

Not an attorney, not legal advice, etc etc.,
Dave