[RE-wrenches] Spot welding PV's to rails for theft prevention: bad idea?

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Mar 4 12:19:03 PST 2011

From the bit of aluminum welding I've done (MIG not the preferred TIG) I'd say it would be pretty hard to do without damaging the laminate.
I actually successfully welded attachments to salvage modules back in the 90s.
Also the alloys are probably different between the module and rail, so even if you welded it without damage, the weld probably would just pop off when the industrious thief started twisting and pulling on it.

I'd look at using a frame of angle iron over the module edges that captures the module. I've seen racks built this way, and then the 2 frames (upper and lower) can be welded together, or locked with a hasp and padlock)
No warranty voided either.
The breakaway nuts are a waste, we used them for a while, broke the "special tool" on a job where we needed to remove a module, and within seconds my very trusty old assistant Russ had the expensive security hardware off with a Leatherman, and a vice grips.....

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer