[RE-wrenches] One renewable disconnect.

John Wadley wadleyjk at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 18:00:52 PST 2011

Darryl
    The solar backfeed is about 85A, the existing 3-phase panel is about 300A and
drives 4 AC units and parking lights and the existing split-phase panel is about
200A and drives office equipment.  I think I'd rather drive the 20kW directly to
the three phase to alleviate the AC loads than the smaller split-phase loads.  Also,
I'm going by an article I read saying you should try not to unbalance a 3-phase
by more than about 6kW.  The transformer might be able to handle it, but the utility
has not been very cooperative about providing me with specifications.

     I'm not sure I completely followed your second comment.  It sounds like a lot
of switches, though.  I'm leaning towards Jeff Oldham's advice and just integrating
the 10A of wind at the solar AC sub-panel.  It is plenty big enough and won't
drive up the cost.

Thanks to you and Jeff for taking time to offer suggestions.

Best Regards,
John Wadley