[RE-wrenches] Seam clamps with or w/o rails

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 13:07:41 PST 2011

Additional things to consider:

1) Wire management for S-5 direct-mount can be challenging, though the new
S-5s do have wire management clips built into the mounting discs.

2) If you do go with the direct-mount start with the bottom row of S-5s.
Get it very straight and level and then install you first row of modules.
Then install the second row of S-5s and tighten the clamps on the first row
and repeat.  This is easier if the roof in not steep.

3) As Jeff said, your torque wrench is your friend.  It should be used on
every clip.

4) The one thing that has always freaked me out about retrofitting S-5s on
standing seam roofs is that it can be hard to know how solid the roof is
connected to the structure.  If you have the same concerns then that is an
argument for the direct-mount method as there will be less upforce on the
array.

5) This is slightly off-topic and has been addressed in this forum
previously, but if you do opt for the rail-mounted solution I recommend
using a grounding method that does not render the module ungrounded as soon
as you loosen the mounting hardware.  The WEEB lug is an excellent product
for this.  The WEEB clip, as far as I'm concerned, is just dangerous.

6) Speaking of grounding, what is your plan for grounding the roof?  In the
past I have simply grounded a couple of standing seam panels with tin-plated
copper lugs, but I'm curious if any of you wrenches think that further /
different steps should be taken.

For a brighter energy future,

Andrew Truitt
NABCEP Certified PV Installer™ (ID# 032407-66)
Truitt Renewable Energy Consulting
(202) 486-7507
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-truitt/8/622/713

[image: 24 copy.jpg]

"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"

~William McDonough