[RE-wrenches] Cable tray versus RMC

Carl Adams swingjunkie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 04:57:16 PST 2011

Larry,

We do have the option of no roof penetrations and that is the course
being taken.  We will have 90 source circuits in the array and 5
Jboxes on the roof and these will then be routed to a vertical wall on
the west end of the array.  The strings will carry through the wall
horizontally and then on to the inverters.

My preference would have been to penetrate the roof with RMC and come
directly into the bottom of the NEMA 4X Jbox avoiding the long conduit
runs across the roof ( which will be visible from gorund level).  I
have used the DEKTite
(http://www.itwbuildex.com/gcs_flashings_dektite.shtml)  roof boot for
this type of penetration in the past with good success.  We use the
Eternabond double face adhesive on the bottom of the boot.  WIth the
boot fully under the JBox it will never see the light of day and
should last as long as the array.

The point of my original post was really to find out if the cable tray
approach has been used by other installers for managing the DC source
circuit wiring on rooftops.  Will it meet code?  My understanding is
that cable tray is not classified as a raceway.  It it good practice?
That sort of thing.  I personally would feel better if the source
circuits were in RMC.

Cheers
Carl