[RE-wrenches] PV water pumping

Nick Soleil nicksoleilsolar at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 15:46:34 PST 2011

Hi Jeff:
    I am familiar with that installation you mentioned, which runs all of the
buddhist prayer wheels.  We have added an additional 100 KW of PV at that site,
and at the new temple, Cintimani.  Those Kyocera modules that were installed
there failed.  I found that about 1/3 of the modules were producing 0-10 Voc, vs
the 21 Voc specified.  As a result, of the low string voltages,the SMA inverters
were underperforming significantly or not turning on at all.  Kyocera replaced
the entire array with new modules, and paid us a fair wage for the trouble.  I
have spent a couple months of my life working there, which was very peaceful and
interesting, to say the least.

     Each one of those prayer wheels has over a mile of prayers inscribed on a
long strip wrapped inside of them.  I think I calculated that their were nearly
800 of those wheels, spinning continuously.  They say that those wheels send out
~500 million prayers a day!
Nick Soleil
Project Manager
Advanced Alternative Energy Solutions, LLC
PO Box 657
Petaluma, CA 94953
Cell:   707-321-2937
Office: 707-789-9537