[RE-wrenches] RV VS NEC

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Wed Feb 2 13:02:55 PST 2011

I’ve seen many mobile installations that have inverter/chargers that are not mobile rated – i.e. don’t do neutral-ground bond switching. Having been in the mobile solar generator trailer business, while not technically considered and RV, I’ve always treated it as such. I’ve run into some considerations that are not specifically addressed in the NEC, but common sense should prevail.

The un-funniest thing I saw was one of my “competitors” who was selling a mobile solar trailer with a double male ended extension cord so you could plug the trailer into an outside outlet to power your “whole home.” I’ve also seen it the other way around with a female power “inlet” on the trailer. Scary.

Jason Szumlanski

Fafco Solar