[RE-wrenches] Inverter oversizing

Nick Soleil nicksoleilsolar at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 09:02:08 PST 2011

    This is very interesting.  I think a lot of us already oversize inverters to
reduce wear and tear, and to operate the inverter closer to its peak
efficiency.  This is another good reason.
     What will it take to get more data on this subject.  What percentage of the
annual radiation is occuring over 1000 w/m^2 in our local regions?  Who is
collecting 1 minute data?
    If we could capture .5% of the annual power on a 5 KW AC system, and the
system cost $42,000.  That would be valued about $210 upfront, but even more
over the life of the system.  That increased value would just pay for the
increased cost of the inverter.  It is probably a smart decision, as long as the
increased inverter size doesn't increase the system cost significantly, by
requiring a supply side tap, a service panel upgrade, or other major upgrades to
the system..

 Nick Soleil
Project Manager
Advanced Alternative Energy Solutions, LLC
PO Box 657
Petaluma, CA 94953
Cell:   707-321-2937
Office: 707-789-9537