[RE-wrenches] Reference PV System

jason pozner zzyyzzx11 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 20:52:32 PST 2011

Rob,

I think much of your snow removal will be at your lesser test angles.  4:12
might be a problem, but here in Western Colorado we are seeing 10:12 pitch
(40 deg) shed quite easily after a storm (would be curious about the 6:12(we
don't see too much here)).   I think, although we don't share similar
latitudes, we do share similar snowpack.   Colorado, and I believe Edmonton
have a Continental snowpack which tend to have lower moisture content
(colder dryer snow).  Usually we don't see the rhyming issues that a Costal
or even Intermountain experience, so the "tackiness" of the snow is less of
a problem.  Usually with the first sun after a storm, we see a pretty good
shed of the array.  I agree with Todd in that raising the array will give
the snow a place to accumulate.  I am curious about an automated snow
removal.  Whats that like, can it be done without heat?  Thinking about the
steep pitched array, I always wonder if just a bit of heat to melt and
lubricate the glass sliding surface would be enough of a boost to clear snow
earlier.  I have had the conversation a few times with an off grid client,
and convinced him it wasn't the best use of his energy harvest, but for
science....

Jay Pozner
Nunatak AES
Crested Butte, CO