[RE-wrenches] Diversion load for AC coupled system

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Nov 30 11:16:38 PST 2011

"If the current capacity of the diversion controller is exceeded then you want the relay to switch in the big load."

A few questions.
How do I turn on the big load based on current? The controller does not have a current detector, only voltage. Controller on first could still allow over-current if the voltage does not rise another .2 volts. Correct?

Here's a scenario: Sun is up and voltage rises slowly to the diversion controller set point. PWM starts and maintains the voltage. Current continues to increase but the load is keeping the voltage constant until the controller is overloaded.

It looks like the big load comes on only if power is high enough to overcome the response time of the PWM circuit in the diversion controller thus allowing the voltage pass the .2 volt offset. Also, my thoughts are the hysteresis in the SS relay needs to be broad enough to keep the big load on so it drops out last.

Sorry that I'm not seeing your whole picture yet, David. The operation must be bullet proof. Can you elaborate more?

Larry