[RE-wrenches] calculating low string voltage

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Tue Nov 29 20:39:13 PST 2011

Kirk,

You've got some good feedback on this from Ray and Bill. I'll try to add
a little more. Most module datasheets show a normal operating cell
temperature, NOCT, value that's typically 47.5°C. That's 20°C ambient
temperature, 800 W/sq m, and calm wind and nothing blocking the airflow
on the back of the module. That 27.5°C temperature rise should be pretty
close to the temperature rise that occurs for a pole-top mount. It's
common to see people use 25°C for modules on a pole and 30°C or 35°C on
a roof and there are data that support these "typical" values. With 1000
W/sq irradiance, the temperature rise can obviously be more too. Between
the intensity of the sun, the direction of the sun, the color of the
roof, the spacing off the roof, and the wind speed there is a lot that
is different from one system to the next or even one day to the next.

Most PV module spec sheets don't give you a temperature coefficient for
Vmp. I've seen people use the the Voc coefficient, usually expressed as
a percentage, for both Voc and Vmp. Big mistake. Data from NREL
indicates as Bill said, the temperature coefficient for Vmp is higher
than that the temperature coefficient for Voc. That's particularly true
when the coefficient is expressed as a percentage per °C. Since there
are very few manufacturer's that give both temperature coefficients,
I'll use a value from an old Evergreen module for an example. The
Evergreen ES-195 datasheet shows Voc = 30.5 volts with a coefficient of
-0.34%/°C and Vmp = 27.1 volts with a coefficient of -0.47%/°C. Since
one shouldn't add volts and percents, I'll put the temperature
coefficients in volts/°C: Voc = 30.5 V - 0.10 V/°C and Vmp = 27.1 V -
0.13V/°C. So Vmp is moving faster than Voc, but not a lot faster. That's
generically true for c-Si or poly-Si.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
www.bluemountainsolar.com