[RE-wrenches] Convert Grid Tie SW4048 to Backup System; Add New Inverter, AC Coupled

David Katz dkatz at aeesolar.com
Tue Nov 22 09:06:41 PST 2011

Nathan,
I use an SW for backup in AC coupling. I use one of the auxiliary 1 amp relays to activate a larger relay on the AC output of the grid tie inverter to break the Ac connection when the batteries reach full charge voltage.  This is I simple but crude pwm charge control merthod.  When the AC breaks, the grid tie inverter goes off for 5 minutes.  The loads operate on the Sw, pulling the battery down, which closes the relay and the cycle repeats.
David Katz