[RE-wrenches] Voltage Regulator

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Fri Nov 4 06:39:33 PDT 2011

I did some research on this a while back, and one thing I learned is
that a switching regulator is more efficient than a linear regulator,
which may be important to you in this case if battery or energy
production capacity is a concern. You probably don't have to worry about
low voltage because you will have a low voltage disconnect method to
protect the batteries that is well above the 20V mark. Since your bulk
charging setpoint will likely be a bit higher than the maximum 28V
specification, you will need to do some sort of regulation.

Here is a short tutorial on DC-DC converters that I found helpful:

http://www.altera.com/support/devices/power/regulators/pow-regulators.ht
ml

Jason Szumlanski

Fafco Solar