[RE-wrenches] Bifacial modules

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 3 10:39:56 PDT 2011

See-thru solar cells have been around for decades. Arco Solar made 4% efficient amorphous silicon modules and car sunroofs in 1984 that were tinted brown like sunglasses. I got a 12-inch square see-thru laminate that still works.

I also have a 6.75-inch square sample of MSK Corp's amorphous silicon PV-TV solar panels. They were developed in conjunction with Kaneka and Japanese architects Taiyo Industries. The full-size glass panels, measure 1-meter square. In addition to producing electricity, they provide thermal insulation, solar heat gain protection and protection from ultra violet rays. During the manufacturing process, a laser inscribes a series of ultra fine lines onto the panel to allow 10 percent of visible light to be transmitted through the glass, enough for sufficient light to enter a building even during cloudy conditions while protecting against excessive solar gain. Amorphous silicon solar cells with 10 percent, 5 percent or 1 percent transparency are placed between two sheets of glass to generate power. This solar panel is called PV-TV because it is also used as a display screen on the outside of buildings. See http://www.metropolismag.com/story/20040727/pv-tv-a-multifunctional-eco-friendly-building-material

The Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim and other buildings have see-thru Schott solar modules with different amounts of transparency. See http://www.solardesign.com/library/pdf/tiger-woods-solar-curtain-wall.pdf

Also, opaque cell solar modules are manufactured with various cell spacings for BIPV applications.

I have a Mastech Light Meter LX1010B in my tool kit for measuring lux. This handy tool costs around $20.

Joel Davidson